Housing Discrimination Assistance

Organization Name: U.S. Department Of Housing And Urban Development
(Show others in Organization)
1249 S Vinnell Way, Suite 108
Boise, ID 83709
Phone: 208-334-1990
TDD: 208-334-9094
Toll Free Phone: 800-225-5342
Fax: 208-334-9648
Service Categories:
Services Provided: The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has almost 300 programs in service to its fundamental mission to provide strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality, affordable homes for all Americans.
However, with few exceptions, such as filing a Fair Housing complaint, the public would generally access these programs through an intermediary organization such as a Public Housing Agency, non-profit, or local government.

Following are the programs most sought after by the public:


Temporary Housing
HUD and others provide funding for homeless shelters and transitional housing.
Shelters and Transitional Housing

Supportive Services
HUD’s Continuum of Care (CoC) program promotes community-wide commitment to the goal of ending homelessness and provides funding for efforts by nonprofit providers and State and local governments to quickly re-house homeless individuals and families to minimize trauma and dislocation.
Boise/Ada County (208) 384-4158 x104
Rest of State (208) 331-4754


Low-income Housing
HUD, USDA Rural Development, and others help fund housing projects to make them affordable to people with low incomes. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
Search for low-income housing, including subsidized housing on HousingIdaho.com

Subsidized Apartments
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
Search for HUD Subsidized Housing
Search for USDA Subsidized Housing

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
Public Housing Agencies (PHA) administer HUD’s public housing programs, providing rental assistance for eligible families who live in specific housing developments or units owned by Public Housing Agencies. They also administer the Housing Choice Voucher program wherein HUD provides rental subsidies for standard-quality units that are chosen by the tenant in the private market. To apply for either type of assistance, contact or visit your local Public Housing Agency.
PHAs in Idaho
Links to PHA websites

Emergency Rental Assistance
These agencies may help you make ends meet if it’s not a recurring problem.
County Welfare Offices
Community Action Partnership Agencies
Idaho Housing and Finance Association (877) 438-4472
Jesse Tree


Tenant Rights and Responsibilities in federally-assisted housing
When you live in an apartment, you have both rights and responsibilities. Be sure you know what's expected of you - and what you can expect in return.
Rights and responsibilities of residents in federally-assisted housing
Contact HUD to complain about a federally-assisted housing unit (208) 334-1990

Landlord and Tenant Guidelines
Landlord-tenant laws are state laws, not federal, so unless you are in federally-assisted housing, HUD probably has no authority to act on your behalf (unless your complaint is regarding a violation of the Fair Housing Act, or failure to provide a lead-based paint brochure, as examples). However, the Idaho Office of the Attorney General has prepared a resource to assist you.
Landlord and Tenant Guidelines

Owning a home is a big part of the American Dream. Here are some resources that can help you buy, maintain, and keep your home.

Homebuyer Education
If you’re thinking of buying, taking a homebuyer education course could help you qualify for down payment and closing cost assistance!
Talk To A Housing Counselor
Learn About Homeownership
Find a HUD Home

Avoid Foreclosure
HUD-approved Counseling Agencies provide free Mortgage Delinquency and Default Resolution Counseling, so avoid all those scams and call one today!
Talk To A Housing Counselor
Avoid Foreclosure
Understand Mortgage Servicing Settlement

Other Counseling
HUD-approved Counseling Agencies provide many other services, including: Fair Housing Pre-Purchase Education Workshops, Financial Management/Budget Counseling, Home Improvement and Rehabilitation Counseling, Non-Delinquency Post Purchase Workshops, Pre-purchase Counseling, Pre-purchase Homebuyer Education Workshops, Predatory Lending Education Workshops, Rental Housing Counseling, Reverse Mortgage Counseling, and Services for Homeless Counseling.
Talk To A Housing Counselor


Know Your Rights
Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability.
Fair Housing--It's Your Right

File a Complaint
HUD'S Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity enforces fair housing laws. The office handles complaints and questions about discrimination in housing. Tenants, landlords, managers, housing providers, advocates or whoever has a question about discrimination in housing can be referred to HUD.
File A Housing Discrimination Complaint

Contact the HUD Office in Idaho
Email HUD in Idaho
Source: Idaho Careline 211
Last Updated: 9/10/2019